How Bad Are Dentastix?
We’ve all heard that Dentastix are far from the best chews to give your dog, but how bad can they really be?
Dogs have been fed this popular chew for years and years. Produced by Mars they claim to be natural. Can the same people who produce chocolate bars be producing the equivalent for dogs?
A mars a day helps you work rest and play! An advertising slogan they changed perhaps as a ‘mars a day’ is far too much and would potentialy cause health issues.
A Dentastix a day keeps your dogs teeth white clean and healthy?? Hummm
So what exactly is in a Dentastix?
It’s worth bearing in mind that the laws governing dog food don’t require the exact ingredients to be individually listed on the packaging like they are in human food products. Instead, they’re often combined into groups as shown below, which means you don’t know exactly what’s in the recipe.
Some dog food companies use the term cereals to describe all types of grains. With this blanket term its very difficult to know exactly what you are feeding your dog. with many dogs suffering from allergies or sensitive stomachs this isn’t great
Derivatives of Vegetable Origin.
Again the vagueness of this term means you simply have to hazard a guess as to what you’re feeding your dog. It’s also likely each batch will being different depending on what vegetable products are available and most cost effective at the time.
Meat and Animal Derivatives.
So what part of the animal and even what type of animal is being used? And again the recipe can alter from one batch to the next depending on price and supply.
Minerals including sodium Tripolyphosphate-
Sodium Tripolyphosphate is the active ingredients in a Dentastic chew that helps keep your dogs teeth clean. Clinical studies have shown that they can help prevent tartar build up. Although it is recognised as safe it is also recognised as being a mild skin irritant. So if your dog is prone to skin problems its not recommended.
Despite the confusion about what exactly is in a Dentastix, they are used around the world to help keep dogs teeth clean. They do have ingredients that are designed, and proven, to help reduce plaque. The Sodium Tripolyphoshate breaks down plaque and tartar. However this chemical only accounts for around 2.6% of each chew so if you feel comfortable that the other 97.4% is ok for your dog then . . .
But we would argue that there are much healthier alternatives, 100% natural and lower in fats and sugars that can help keep your dogs teeth healthy without relying on chemicals.
If you’re looking for a dental chew for your dog that can help lift and remove plaque and tartar you should look for a really hard chew that your dog will have to work at to eat. Have a look at our list below and give them a try :) Happy chewing!
Extra Large Full Pig Ears£3.90 – £20.30 Select options
Bulls pizzle – Premium 20 pack£41.84 Add to basket
1/2 Pigs Ears£3.40 – £20.00 Select options
Beef Moon Bone 100% Natural Dog Chews£8.80 – £23.32 Select options
Cows Ears With Fur 100% Natural Dog Chew£2.00 – £17.00 Select options
Beef Tendon 100% Natural Dog Chew£12.00 – £20.00 Select options